Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Summer Reading

I wanted to recommend a book to the blog world.

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, in sort of marathon sessions. In a lot of the blogs, the authors mention that for them blogging is a kind of artistic expression, as well as a way to just write. This makes a lot sense to me.

I thought people might like the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It's a book that outlines 12 weeks of reclaiming your artist self. There are two main rules: one, that every morning you write "morning pages," which is not meant to be real "writing" but just three pages of whatever comes out of you that morning; and two, that every week you take an "artist date," which is a fun thing you want to do that you go do by yourself. So you do these things, and you read the book, and it's fun and enlightening and etc. A few friends who I tried to make read it thought it was too cheesy, but I love it. It's helped me make a lot of good changes in my life-- a kind of blossoming into creative richness is the best way I can describe it.

Here's the amazon.com link if you want to check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Julia-Cameron/dp/1585421472

There's also an official website: http://www.theartistsway.com/.

4 comments:

longvowels said...

i will read!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Julia Cameron clearly lives an artist's life free of my children! Wish I had read that book years ago, when I had time to be an artist. At least I can still blog! ;)

joy said...

You know, you can get on Amazon and set up an affiliate account so that when you endorse a book and everyone buys it, you can make like $.40 per book or something. It rules. Everybody's doing it.

Unknown said...

I was given this book when I graduated college by one of the most wonderful women I've ever known. I'm going to have to revisit it, now.