Monday, July 16, 2007

what in the world to do

This morning I was reading the Washington Post online as I waited for my gardening boss to email me about work.

I came across the story of Troy Davis, a man from Georgia who has been on death row in Georgia for something like 16 years. Recently, many witnesses in the case have come forward to "recant or contradict" their testimony. Some of them, including one man who was 16 at the time, says the police coerced them into testifying against Davis. You can read about the situation at http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/07/16/davis_0716.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Davis is scheduled to be executed tomorrow, and due to various rules and procedures about appeals, the courts have so far denied him the chance to have the new evidence/testimony reviewed. I am far from an expert on these rules/procedures. The Post article gives more info on them: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/15/AR2007071501250.html?referrer=email

In other words, this man seems likely innocent, but due to rules and procedures, he may still be executed. There is a hearing in session right now in which the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles will decide whether or not to grant clemency to allow time to review the new info.

I got a headache as soon as I read the story this morning and still have it. All day I have been thinking what to do-- I surfed the net looking for more about Davis, and Amnesty International has postcards to send to the board, but it's too late for that... I got the phone number for the Georgia governor, but since they are having the hearing it's too early for that, I guess.

I keep wondering why I didn't find out about this story sooner. Probably because I avoid reading the news, to avoid SEEING stories like this.

Also, sometimes when I think about all the injustice in the world, I feel like I am drowning in it. Like all the injustice and sorrow and desperation is a big pile of quicksand and there is nothing you can do; there's just too much.

And furthermore, THIS is why the death penalty should be abolished. All other arguments for or against the death penalty aside, if we can execute a man who was convicted based on NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE--

when according to Amnesty International, "all witnesses, but two, have recanted or contradicted their testimony. Of the remaining two, one has been implicated as the actual murderer by nine people and the other could only recall the shooter's clothes"--

then we are not living in a just society.


After I ranted like this in my head for awhile, I decided to pray. I am not a pray-er, really. I am not sure what to pray TO, and I have been suspicious of prayer in the past for any number of reasons. But today (and yes, this is inspired in part by Eat Pray Love) I just did it. I lit a candle and sat outside with my rose-scented rosary beads I got in Spain years ago, beads that until today I only used to sniff their rose scent and remember Spain. I sat on my porch, and for each bead in the rosary, I prayed a prayer for Davis: that he would be granted clemency, that the people on the Board of Pardons and Paroles would have the courage in their hearts to allow this man to have a fair trail...

I don't know what else to do.
Any ideas?
Any thoughts on the death penalty?
Or thoughts on the power of prayer?
If you pray, consider praying for Davis, or sending prayers of courage and wisdom to the people who have the power to make our system of justice work fairly.

3 comments:

joy said...

That's hard. I'll pray, too.

joy said...

By the way, your incessant hippy-dom and thoughtfulness has earned you a sought-after blog prize.

And I did a prayer.

Unknown said...

I am strongly anti-death penalty, which, in addition to my anti-gun stance, puts me heavily at odds with everyone else in my family (but not my husband). This is the kind of case that has made me so. I am far from hippie -- very yuppie in fact -- but there are certain things that fall on the right/wrong divide for me, and this is one of them.