Monday, June 29, 2009

Red Line

Several people wanted to know if I would have been on the Metro trains that crashed last week. I wouldn't, but I might have been waiting for one of them if it hadn't been my day off.

There was a nice tribute to the train operator in yesterday's Washington Post.

A page on the accident and Metro's handling of it also included this "local fact:"

"Although the Red Line crash has justifiably raised concerns about Metro's safety, driving is still a lot more dangerous. Metrorail has no fatalities from 1996 to last Monday. In the same period, more than 6,000 people died in road accidents in the Washington region."

This makes me feel better about getting back on the trains tomorrow, but I didn't especially find it comforting on our way up 95 yesterday afternoon.

No comments: