Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Home in Denver

About a week after the move, we traveled to NC for a (beautiful) wedding, which was at Dean's parents' house, then Amelia and I stayed with my parents for several days. At both places, Amelia basked in her grandparents' undying love. Last Friday, A and I flew home. Traveling alone with her was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

We flew from Charlotte through Houston on the way home, and we flew, I think, over the oil spill. I looked down--which I rarely do in a plane--and couldn't tell if we were over land or water. What was below was brownish, like bare dirty land, but there were tiny specks that seemed to be leaving a wake as in water. After a few minutes the brown gradually gave way to blue. So sad. I have been trying to think of ways we can further decrease our oil consumption.

We spent most of the weekend trying to get our house into order. It is still not finished. I finally took my clothes out of boxes yesterday but now I simply have clothes strewn about the bedroom. The golden age of Amelia sitting and playing with things has mostly passed; she wants to be held or to hold your fingers and pull herself to standing or for you to sit with her and watch her practice crawling. All of which I am happy to do. I just can't get anything else done.

We have fallen into the beginnings of a pleasant little weekday routine. Wake up, breakfast, go to the park, nap, playtime, lunch, more playtime or an outing, nap again, play and snack, a dip in the baby pool, and another nap in the stroller just before Dean comes home. During Amelia's morning nap I have been writing and during the afternoon nap, reading. We've been twice to "Book Babies" at a nearby library and I've met two moms, one at Book Babies and one at the park. Plus our across-the-ally neighbors, who have a 15-month old.

I love our neighborhood. The houses are beautiful, old and colorful. They are pink and yellow and green and blue and purple; one is painted like a rainbow, one is painted like the night sky, complete with stars and a crescent moon. There are all kind of people walking around: old hippies and young hippies and people who look like 80's punk rockers with pierced lips and people pushing strollers and people with sagging pants and teenagers in bathing suits and children in small packs and people wearing suits and ties. Within 3-6 blocks of our house we have a park, a rec center with a pool, 4 or 5 bookstores, 2 or 3 vintage furniture shops, a cool clothing store where I got a beautiful purple skirt, a Goodwill and several other thrift stores, and so many restaurants--sushi, Thai, pizza, coffee shops, brew pubs, breakfast. And, I just found out, a delicious ice cream shop.

In Amelia news: teething. An upper left tooth has come in. I think it is a canine tooth. The right one is working its way out as we speak. It's funny because the upper front teeth (the incisors) aren't in yet. Just call her fang.

Fang is waking up. Gotta go--pictures are coming soon!

No comments: