Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Acknowledgements

These poems, some in different versions, have appeared or are forthcoming in the following journals:

Appalachian Journal: “The Fortune Telling Book of Dreams”
Cloudbank: “Three Months”
Colorado Review: “Thrush”
Copper Nickel: “The Japanese Art of Mending Ceramics” and “Antler”
Hayden’s Ferry Review: “What the Blood Does”
South Carolina Review: “Joint”
storySouth: “My Grandmother Speaks of Beauty”
Two Review: “On Rereading Leaves of Grass”

-------------------------------

This is the third page of my manuscript, which I sent out to another contest just today. My acknowledgement list is looking pretty good, if I do say so myself! I got my latest acceptance, from Hayden's Ferry Review, yesterday. It's a nice feeling. I wanted to note, though, that I decided to count up the number of rejections on the "No Thanks" column on the spreadsheet I use to keep track of my submitted poems: 23. Twenty-three journals have rejected my poems, some of them multiple times. These journals range from really prestigous (like Poetry, which kindly sends its "no thanks" email in about 3 days) to journals I really thought would accept my work (I'm looking at you, Stylus). The whole process is such a waiting game, so the occasional news that a poem has been accepted somewhere is a boost, and a nice surprise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so cool. My first print publication will come out this year, and even though I'm second author, I'm excited about seeing my name there on something that would show up in Google :)