Sunday, July 29, 2007

Facing a Fear

"Confront your fears, list them, get to know them, and only then will you be able to put them aside and move on."--Jerry Giles
"We must travel in the direction of our fear." --John Berryman
"Do what you fear most and you control fear." --Tom Hopkins
Tomorrow morning, I will be leaving the city in a CAR, and I will be DRIVING to my family's house in western NC.

So by tomorrow afternoon I should be cured of my fear of driving, right?

I'm not sure where this fear of driving and traveling come from. I was in a big car crash in college, but no one was hurt. It just seems so unsafe, to be speeding along in a little metal box, with hundreds of other speeding metal boxes hurtling past or changing lanes in front of you.

In any case, I am trying to be a normal person and not spend the day dreading tomorrow:

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness." --James Thurber

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Be safe -- I'll be thinking of you on your journey!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about flying. :) You'll make it just fine-- and if you are anywhere near Charlotte and need any assistance, give me a call! I'll email you my cell phone number.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I feel that way (and have blogged endlessly in recent weeks) about flying. You never know, peace may come to you -- I find the anticipation of the fear usually worse than the situation itself.

joy said...

Never fear. I'll still tell your mother the lie about angels and all that. It's fun to go in the car! You should sing "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" very loud, and cry.

I cried today when I got those cds. He loves Wilco. I'm going to listen all day at work tomorrow.

So Friday...what's the dealy--yo?

Fear in Driving Info said...

I want to give a contribution about the fear in driving.

I have read this special report regarding this matter. And I want to share what I have learned in having freedom in driving. The special report discusses about the “10 Keys To Eliminating Fear of Driving”.
The author of this special report showed mastery and understanding about eliminating the fear in driving. You may get in touch with him and you can talk about building the confidence you need in driving.

I hope to this post will help.