Thursday, August 2, 2007

Odds and Ends

I am really touched by the nice comments on my last post. Thank you!

I made it here fine-- eight and a half hours. The worst part was hours 4-5; it seemed that Hwy 29 was never going to reach Greensboro. But eventually, I got home. I am proud, and do feel a bit better about the drive back. I agree with what MPJ said in her comment that anticipation/ dread is the worst part.

I've been trying to follow the advice of Thich Nhat Hanh: when I find myself worrying about little things in the future, I try to recognize that it's my "habit energy" to worry and it doesn't do any good. He says to say, "Hello, dear little habit energy! I recognize you!" And then I try to reestablish myself in the present moment. Which is usually a good moment.

On another topic, I wanted to apologize for the gap in posts and say I might be posting something along the lines of once or twice a week for while now. I'll be out of town a lot (trying to live in the present moment) and school starts after that; I've just realized I spent the whole summer blogging and reading Harry Potter (I'm on book 6 still, by the way, which I like better than 5; Harry is much less angsty) and I haven't worked on my syllabus for the classes I'm teaching in the fall. I'll be teaching two sections of English 101 come Aug 27, not to mention taking a poetry workshop, thesis hours, and a seminar. Also, I'd like to spend more of my Internet time reading other blog as well as writing this one, so I'm officially going to 1-2 posts a week.

Here's a totally random question. I've been shopping some lately, and I am wondering what people think about the return of the 80s in fashion.

1. Do you, or do you plan in the near future, to wear leggings with a long shirt in public?

2. Do you think those little plastic circles with the line down the middle that scrunch up the side of your t-shirt are going to come back in style? Do those things have a name?

3. Jellies: yes or no?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Absolutely not.
A). I am 6 feet tall, and have no desire to appear more "leggy."
B.) I am pregnant. No thanks.

Can I ask a question on top of your question? For those of you who will boldly wear the leggings, will it be the kind with the stirrups? ( the stretchy strap that goes below your foot.)

joy said...

I cannot wear those stirrups. They make me crazy about symmetry. They slide up on on foot and down on the other, and that kind of thing just makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

Seriously.

If I weren't so hugely fat right now, I would wear leggings and a long shirt. I am, unfortunately, 600 pounds. And so that outfit would be an admission of defeat that I'm not ready for.

And yes, I think that those things will happen with the shirt tie thingers, but they will be made of hemp or something. I will buy mine from Forever 21, but if I could afford it, I'd buy the $45 one from Urban Outfitters. It'll happen.

And yes to jellies!

Meagan said...

I cannot deal with the new legging trend. Every time I see a girl wearing them, I want to yell at her--have you learned nothing from our mistakes!

I like the idea of jellies though. I always wanted them when I was a kid and only got them sometimes, so they still seem sort of forbidden and exciting and summer vacation-y.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Glad you made it!

The last time I was in fashion was the 80's, so I'm good with them coming back. Although I was never actually very into any of the styles you mentioned -- so, no to leggings and jellies, never wore them in the 80's wouldn't wear them now. Never used those plastic circles, but did knot my shirts for similar effect. And yes, they'll come back.

Anonymous said...

New 80s trend? Could it be that Canada is ahead? Leggings have been making their appearances for about a year and a halfnow. I like the look of the mid-calf ones when worn with a short skirt or dress and flats (no heels! too flash dance) but with just a t-shirt? hell no.

jellies hurt my feet and give me blisters. i agree w/ mpj: if not the circle, then the knot. I'm in doubt about scruntchies and slouch socks, though.

I do and have loved legwarmers for a good long time and will keep on loving them after they are gauche again.

Anonymous said...

hmm.
1.) yes, to leggings with the super long shirt. but the shirt has to be dressy. No stirrups on the those leggings though.

2.) I hope those t-shirt scruncher thingies do not make a comeback.

3.) No way to jellies. I always lost the mate to my jellies as a child. I'm kind of discouraged. Plus, after a while the weird jelly like plastic which composed jellies always started smelling kind of funky.

Unknown said...

Long shirt, leggings - YES. As long as you have an awesome belt to go around your waste to not make you look like a potato sack and some great accessories you'll look good.

The scrunchy things will NEVER come back. Those are sooooo... well... unfashionable.

Jellies have been replaced by crocks. Resist the temptation.