Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Harry Potter books are drugs.

I decided last week to read all the Harry Potter books before the new one came out.

I saw that it was my last chance to participate in this particular cultural phenomenon.

I read the first one Sunday and yesterday in between worrying, and the second and third ones today.

Yes, all day. I read like 800 pages of Harry Potter. So, 3 to go, but they get successively longer.

Tomorrow, I have to practice moderation, because I had planned to do other things today, but all I did was read and occasionally get up to eat or pee.

I think I'm turning into my cat, who sleeps on her side like a horse all day. At least I didn't spend any money!

I'm too brain dead to think of a good question, so here are too bad ones:

1. I've heard the 4th Harry Potter book is no good and can be skipped. Comments?

2. I want to believe in magic now-- the kind that means owls deliver letters and cars can fly and such. Is magic real?

7 comments:

joy said...

1. I haven't read them, so no comment. Or wait, I have a comment: see the movie!

2. Well, yesterday we prayed, and it worked. Isn't that magic?

Let's communicate exclusively through blogger comments, shall we? So I'm going to be passing through your neck of the woods-ish on Friday and maybe on Saturday, and I was thinking of crashing at your place, or in your vicinity so that we could maybe have breakfast on Sunday. Email me with your thoughts.

Meagan said...

1) The fourth book is my favorite, so I would say no.

2) No less real than anything else, I would say, but I am in a bit of a flippant mood. Maybe I will have a more considered answer later.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

1. Book 4 is the best! The weakest book is Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) -- that is almost nothing but "Harry is angry, Harry is mad, Harry is enraged, Harry is very angry, Harry is really pissed..." Still, I think there's info in it you need for later books.

2. I see magic in my life every day when I look at my kids.

longvowels said...

I never read any of the Potter books because they are Bible sized and won't fit in my cute purse.

After the first movie I wanted my grad school to be Hogwart's and all my class mates to have fancy accents.
Then I began friends with theJunkysWife.
She's like magic.

Kimberly O'Connor said...

Yea magic!

Ok, I'll read the 4th, but the 7th comes out SATURDAY, so I'm in a rush here.

Anonymous said...

i'm in agreement, the 4th is key. They all are, I think. Even the angry Harry one (tho I agree, you can skim the fist 250 pages of it)

Meagan said...

Well, you don't really need to read them all before you do the new one. They are interesting books, but I don't think you need all the backstory to understand any particular book. I've usually forgotten almost all of the previous book by the time a new one comes out. You could go watch the movie of the 5th one and skip that one, maybe.