Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Fear-- Dedicated to T

Today, because it's Halloween, I want to celebrate a friend who did something that I consider really scary: after the break up of a long-term relationship, she moved to a new country-- continent, actually-- to live life on her own terms for a year.

She left behind a budding relationship, as well as a steady job, her apartment, her kitties, her car, her cell phone... all the things we tend to depend on to secure us to life. She moved without knowing where she was going to live or exactly what she was going to do.

I, who as we all know am terrified of even short trips in the car, am so impressed by these actions I can hardly wrap my mind about it. Whenever I do warrior poses in yoga, I think of T and her sense of adventure, the strength it takes to let-- make-- yourself have them.

I also love this friend because she read Eat Pray Love when I did this summer, and Harry Potter. So we had a little reading club.

And, she is the best conversationalist ever. She asks the most interesting questions.

Everybody, do something scary and adventurous today! And try Warrior 3-- http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/941 --

as you stand there balanced on one leg, try to breathe peace and strength and courage, to yourself if you need it, to your friends, to the world.

2 comments:

snow queen said...

i left my husband and while i haven't moved to another continent yet i have flown to the little island that did me so wrong when I was here right after we graduated. it is so much different--wonderful and quiet...i miss you

joy said...

I had an adventure today, but it's secret. If you'd go to Cuntface, you'd know all about it, but you won't do Cuntface right for some reason.

I am imagining that I am your brave friend who moved to another continent after dumping her shit-for-brains husband. This T person can be the girl in that last post who stayed with her shit-for-brains husband. We can switch.