Sunday, October 28, 2007

Love

My friend the Junky's Wife (thejunkyswife.com) is going through a hard time right now. That's probably an understatement.

Her ability to stand by her husband despite some less than desirable circumstances amazes me.

It makes me think about love. It's one thing to think you are committed to your marriage through daily life things like, oh, cooking dinner and working long hours and rainy days. It's another to deal with something like addiction. I want to send blogger-waves of peace and hope and strength to JW.

And, all this thinking about love has made me think about the great friends I have. I think I'll make a little blog-task for myself in which I celebrate my friends. I'll begin with JW.

Here are ten-- no, eleven-- great things about her:

1. She is an excellent writer.
2. She is the first friend I ever had that knew how to wear her beauty.
3. She taught me about tofu bacon.
4. In being a vegetarian who would still eat the vegetables her momma cooked in real bacon grease, she was the role model for the fake vegetarian that I am today.
5. She made me love Sylvia Plath.
6. She sometimes let me drive her fancy car in college.
7. She is one of the most honest people I know (in the ways that matter, at least).
8. She sticks by her friends.
9. She sticks by the people she loves.
10. She made me start a blog.
11. She is some kind of Walt Whitman role model for love, love, love above all else.

4 comments:

Meagan said...

This is wonderful, Question. So kind and true.

joy said...

I love you! Thank you for this.

snow queen said...

wow...yous comments about JW were so exact and true that they made me well up.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I read this back when you posted it, but am only now getting a chance to pop in and tell you it is beautiful.