Friday, March 20, 2009

Heartbeat




I heard the baby's heartbeat at my appointment with the doctor this morning! He put some goo on my belly and said, "This sometimes takes a few minutes, so don't panic until I panic." I agreed, and listened.

It DID take a long time. At first I was fascinated just hearing my own heartbeat and inner noises on whatever machine he was using. It sounded like weather, intense stormy weather on a plain. Then I felt like it was taking forever. I kept thinking, I MUST be pregnant, I've been so sick! But finally he said "there it is," and I heard it. Very, very fast! He had moved the little searching device all the way over to my right side, down low, just above my hipbone. The baby was hiding in there? I read that it will move if my abdomen is probed, so maybe it was scurrying away as he looked for it. Anyway, it was really neat. I could have listened for a long time, but after a minute or so the doctor took the device away.

According to the doctor, "it was a good heartbeat."

No comments: