Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yoga Mama

I went to a prenatal yoga class yesterday. My neighborhood yoga studio closed late last fall to change locations. It reopened last week, so I made my way to the new studio yesterday afternoon. It is a very pretty new studio, light green walls and smooth hardwood floors. I had a hard time finding it because I was on the even-numbered side of the street, determinedly looking for 641. I was SURE I was on the correct side of the street, thinking, "Okay, here's 658, 650, 641 should be coming up!" Pregnancy brain?

It turned out the teacher of the class also teaches the class I am currently signed up for at another studio. I haven't been to that class in weeks: it is at 8:45 in the morning, and these days at that hour, I'm too busy being queasy to go to a yoga class. It was nice to be able to explain to the teacher what had been going on, and I like her a lot so I was glad to see her.

At first I was nervous about being around all of the other pregnant ladies. It was a LOT of pregnancy. I am pretty sure I was the least far along of the group, which sort of made me feel like an impostor. I just don't have the impressive 25, 28 or 31-week belly that some of the other women have. But then I realized that was silly. Probably all those women feel better than me anyway (I certainly hope so). There was a woman who was 13 weeks along, just a week ahead of me. She was talking about how she "felt so much better this week," which gave me a lot of hope. But then she said she had never actually thrown up, so I hated her a little bit, just for a moment.

It was nice to be in the class. It felt good to be back on my yoga mat, and I enjoyed the slow pace of prenatal yoga. We did a lot of "breathing into the baby," which was fun. The teacher talked a bit about birth. It makes sense, especially for the women who are farther along, but it surprised me. I just have a hard time thinking that far ahead. I think going to a prenatal class as opposed to a regular class will be good for me as far as adjusting to the pregnancy. Also, I slept better last night than I have in weeks: I only got up 3 times to pee (it's sad that that's a small number), and didn't have to get up at all to go downstairs and eat. I think I could go to a prenatal yoga class every day. Maybe I should get a videotape.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have one if you want me to mail it -- it's nothing involved. I tried it out, but I am just NOT a yoga person, no matter how hard I try. It was the elliptical and walking more me.