Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Weekend In Pictures

Well, words and pictures. We had a busy weekend. I graduated from my MFA program on Friday, and on Saturday Jim and Luli, Dean's parents, came up for a birthday visit and a Will Oldham concert. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the concert, since they didn't allow cameras, but it was a lot of fun. I also have no pictures of today: Dean and I took a picnic to the tidal basin area, and then I stayed on the Mall and watched part of the Memorial Day parade. It was a great DC Memorial Day activity, but they didn't allow cameras. No, really, I just forgot the camera, as usual.

Anyway, here's the weekend's photo album.

My graduation was Friday. It was very hot wearing the robe. It made me sleepy. Graduation ceremonies are so strange, but they are nice punctuation. Here I am with my poetry friends, the people I started the program with 3 years ago...



My family made a whirlwind trip up to see me graduate! Stupidly, we did not take any family pictures at the graduation. But they did get me some gorgeous roses:



and here are some books they brought for the baby (on the beautiful new table Luli made; more on that below).



The baby has a promising library already.

On Saturday, my parents went home and Dean's arrived, bearing many gifts. It's not her birthday, but most were for the baby. Here are some clothes:



and a sling Luli made! I am trying it out with my Cinnamon Bear.



There were also some new clothes for Mama. Here's the cute top Luli made for me:



Sadly, some of the clothes, including the gift from Linda, which I LOVE, do not fit. Sigh. Anyway, Dad-to-be got something he's been wishing for: a rain barrel! It's thundering now, so we're hoping to be able to use it soon. Here it is with its friend the composter:



Just for fun, here's how our garden looks now:



and a close up of the peas:



The most exciting gift, for the whole family, is the beautiful table Luli made for us.



Here's a close up:



and a side view:



I love this table. It is just gorgeous and perfect for the space. It's a drop leaf table, so we can make it small if we need to, or big enough for a large workspace or a dinner for 6 (we think) if we need to. Thank you Luli!

Finally, Suki was a little sad that no one brought her presents, but she found consolation in the bag the presents arrived in:



All in all, a great weekend. It's not often we get to see both sets of parents! Now I'm coming to terms with the end of the holiday--I start my new job in the English department tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful table. Congrats on your graduation :)