Friday, July 17, 2009

28th Week Update

Twelve or less weeks to go. Or a couple more, I suppose. I think less.

The most exciting event of the week was meeting baby Lucy! This is Lucia Armijo, the new daughter of Enrique/Henry and Caroline, our friends from Dean and Enrique's law school days. I got to hold Lucy and play with her during her tummy time and she even feel asleep in my arms. Sadly, I forgot the camera (as usual), but you can see and read about Lucy on Caroline's blog. She is tiny and adorable. It was great to talk with Caroline and finally meet Lucy.

In other news, Dean and I attended session one of "Make Way for Baby" last week. We go back tomorrow. Let's just say that the first session was not all I had hoped for. Mainly, the teacher was terrible. I am probably pretty judgmental of other people's teaching, but really, she was awful. She has a very confusing way of explaining things that involves starting whatever she is saying with the conclusion, then backtracking to an example, which she repeats four or five times (seriously, almost word for word), and then she works her way back to preliminary points, and ends by restating the conclusion. It's extremely irritating. Also, she said things I think are just wrong, such as "The baby sucks the calcium from your bones." And worst of all, she seemed embarrassed when she taught us about some of the laboring positions. Some of the class members were sort of giggly and shuffly about getting down on their hands and knees and such, and it was like she let the students' discomfort make her uncomfortable. Come on people, we're talking about giving birth. It's not the time to be modest. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE THE TEACHER.

But, much to Dean's dismay, we're going back anyway, because we have paid. And despite it all, attending the class did make me feel better. It was nice to hear, in a hospital setting, about some of the things I want to do that I had anticipated the hospital being difficult about. I have reached a nice Zennish (can one be Zennish? or do you have to be just Zen or not?) state about labor. I have a plan and I am not interested in hearing any more stories or opinions about the whole thing, particularly anyone's estimations or descriptions of how much it hurts. (NOTE: That statement does not apply to all the moms I know, who have been great in talking and offering advice, or to anyone I specifically ask. I'm just tired of random people, such as, oh, the saleswoman at Gap, telling me their thoughts about giving birth. Another annoying thing random people do is say "Oh, you'll never sleep again.") I will write about my plan later.

The wiggle baby needs a new name. Well, obviously--but what I mean is that she has not been as wiggly. In fact we had an unscheduled ultrasound about it this week because I called my doctor about a few other questions and mentioned that the baby's pattern of movement had changed. (Everything I've read says to tell your doctor if the pattern of movement changes.) She was still kicking and moving, but she was not as wiggly. I figured the doctor would tell me it was fine and not to worry--but instead he said he would call for me to get an ultrasound if I wanted. After that, what are you going to do but get an ultrasound? So we got to peek into the baby's world another time. She is fine. Today she started wiggling again a bit. Who knows. Anyway I know that her repertoire has expanded some. And I won't post the graphic picture that proves it, but we are very sure now that she is a girl.

What else? Dean and Luli (his mom) are going backpacking this weekend. I've been missing the mountains, but despite Dean's offer to carry all my stuff, I declined his invitation to join them. I've been doing okay walking up the Metro escalators, but I am not sure how I would do with mountains. Not to mention two nights of sleeping on the ground and not having an assortment of food, such as cold milk, banana bread, and watermelon Popsicles, to eat upon waking in the morning.



Here's Dean getting ready. Suki is helping. She loves maps.

And our garden is doing well. We have beans, tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers. In fact, I am signing off to figure out what to do with it all. I have been thinking of it all day as a "farm supper."



Here are the beans. Some are purple, but they turn green when you cook them.

If you have baby name ideas, I am officially open to suggestions.

No comments: